Graduation approaches, year closes

Andy Miller, Reporter

As the year draws closer to its conclusion, the seniors get closer to their graduation, which is taking place at Harford Community College’s APGFCU arena on May 30th.
In order to have a successful graduation a lot of planning has to go into the event. Assistant principal Mr. Ed Stevens is in charge of the majority of the planning for graduation.
“My main job is to make sure I have people there to chaperone, to help line kids up, to monitor the doors, take tickets, things like that,” Stevens explained.
He also adds that the task is a lot simpler and it’s  similar to any athletic event where they have supervision and people taking tickets.  Despite the public figures that attend graduation, not all of them get to speak. Stevens shares that the county executive is certainly going to speak, and usually in adddition someone from the board and county speaks.
According to the assistant principal, the theater school and middle school principals don’t speak at graduation. Any other guest on stage that didn’t speak are still acknowledged for being present at graduation.
In the past, graduation has taken place at Aberdeen, but changing the location to HCC allows more people to attend.
Stevens explained that the students would only get 5 tickets and the seating was tight at Aberdeen and anyone with extra tickets would have to watch it on a live feed in the auditorium. Since the event is now at the community college, students now get 7 tickets and guests can actually attend it live and in person. “It’s nice because we don’t have to worry about parking too much,” shared assistant principal.
Seniors are experiencing a number of emotions because of graduation, feeling excited yet terrified about walking down that aisle.
“I’m scared because all I’ve known for twelve years is the 7 to 2 schedule or a whole day taken by school from Monday through Friday and now I get to actually do what I want to do and the freedom is scary,” expressed senior Madison Clark.
Senior Drew Davis said he  is excited for life after high school, and he’s glad he had his family  to help him prepare for life beyond North Harford.