Alumni return to teach tech classes, New educators ready for school year

Two new tech teachers have been added to the Nest for the 2023-2024 school year, Mrs. Chelsea Carr and Mr. Jacob Birchfield. 

This is Mrs. Carr’s fourth year of teaching, however this is her first year teaching since 2014. She took off nine years after the birth of her “first son.”  Carr added that she previously taught at “Church Creek Elementary” where she “taught art.” She attended “the Maryland Institute College of Art for” her “bachelor’s degree in illustration.” Then she went to Johns Hopkins for her degree in teaching.

So far,  Carr  says she enjoys teaching “high school students” since she has “only taught elementary.” She expressed that the “high school students are a lot more independent.”

In her original job as a graphic designer, Carr said that she “didn’t like being behind a desk all day.” She realized she “liked working with kids a lot more than just being isolated in a cubicle.”

Carr is an alumnus, as she graduated in 2001 as a Hawk. She expressed how it is ‘really neat to see how the school has changed and how it stayed the same. She said she is “really excited to see all the events the school has” coming up this year. She added that she “hopes everyone can get something out of tech and see how it impacts their lives in some way.”

Birchfield is also returning to his alma mater to teach as he graduated from North Harford in 2015. His “previous job was a boat captain.”  The educator says that “getting to know all the kids and watching them learn new things,” is what he is looking forward to.

He wanted to become a teacher because he is “passionate about seeing kids learn and being a leader” in the community.  Birchfield is excited to “watch the students grow into better people. He expressed his excitement to be at the “tractor day’ events in the spring, and  he hopes to make an impact by “having a good relationship with teachers and students.”