Changes made to library; Leyburn settling in at new school

One display Leyburn has created is called ‘Barbenheimer,’ due to the popular movies that were released over the summer. Both movies opened in theaters on the same day, causing crowds and chaos. 
PHOTO CREDIT: Emily Johnson
One display Leyburn has created is called ‘Barbenheimer,’ due to the popular movies that were released over the summer. Both movies opened in theaters on the same day, causing crowds and chaos. PHOTO CREDIT: Emily Johnson

A new librarian calls for a library transformation. Mrs. Megan Leyburn has been teaching for 20 years, and her move from North Harford Elementary School to the high school has come with some changes.

Her goal currently is to “get to know the teachers and where [she] can fit into their curriculum,” while also changing up the layout and decor of the library. 

The first task she tackled was re-arranging some of the shelves and tables to make it more open, and made new displays as well. She would like to have “more interactive spaces where the kids can come and do activities,” such as puzzles. 

She is also looking to shift some books around, and group them by genre, so that it’s easier for students to find novels that interest them. 

Aside from revamping the physical space, Leyburn has been dealing with a multitude of technology issues within the first two weeks of school. She claimed it’s been “a little overwhelming” due to the number of issues they’ve had, and that “everybody keeps reassuring [her] it’s an anomaly.” Some of the issues have come from the re-imaging of the laptops over the summer. 

Another task Leyburn will take on is running the school’s book club. She’s going to “take it from the kids and see what they want,” regarding the club and how it operates.