Talent show draws crowd; Yearbook hosts annual performance

The 2024 Student Teacher Talent Show was held on February 2. The yearbook staff has put together the show every year since 2017.

Mrs. Carla Harward is the yearbook teacher who started the show with her yearbook staff in 2017 when they wanted to add a talent show for teachers when they realized our school didn’t have one. The show evolved to the Student and Teacher Talent show giving everyone a chance to perform. This event has also been a big fundraiser for the yearbook staff to help them. 

The show had a “bittersweet,” moment for Harward because she will be retiring before the next show next year so this is the last one she will be a part of. “I’m happy it was a great staff effort and everybody bought into it and everybody did a great job with it,” said Harward and she is “very happy,” with how the talent show ended up this year. 

The yearbook staff got to work on the talent show for this year on the first day of school, “we started planning way far in advance this year and we had more rehearsals which was helpful,” because the show ran so smoothly this year according to Harward. 

The show this year had 22 acts plus a bonus one that was a surprise for Harward. Seniors, Lilly Moody, Mackenzie Dunaway, Sarah Reifsnyder, and Emily Johnson created a secret act that Harward did not know about while planning the show that was dedicated to her. “I was blown away,” said Harward, she had no idea about the extra act. “I was very very touched and very grateful,” she added. 

There was a big range of different kinds of acts from singing, rapping, dancing, and acting. Lots of different acts played musical instruments and also sang while doing so. There was also dancing in some acts like the journalism staff dancing to “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction. 

There were several teacher/faculty members that were picked by the yearbook staff to be the judges for the talent show and they picked Micheal Carcio to win for the best student act. He rapped his own self produced song on stage. Carcio said he felt “happy,” to be up on the stage performing and it “felt good,” to win. He also added he might “possibly,” do the show again next year. 

Harward wasn’t just behind the scenes in planning the talent show she took stage in a couple different acts this year, “I was in the Barbie act with the yearbook staff, the Grannies Gone Wild with Mrs. Chandler, I was in the Mario Kart beginning, and then I was in the pound routine with Mrs. Birchfield, Mrs. Mock, Mrs. Chandler, and Mrs. Jestle.” 

Harward said she loved being a part of all of those acts  but shouted out the “yearbook staff and Mrs. Chandler.” Harward said she’ll miss doing her acts with Mrs. Jennifer Chandler because “we did one every year together.”