Parties, games, food, more featured during Best Buddies month

Juniors Julia Underwood and Maggie Dawson hang out with sophomore Michael Carico. At this meeting, students created Valentines Day cards.
Photo credit: Mrs. Stahl
Juniors Julia Underwood and Maggie Dawson hang out with sophomore Michael Carico. At this meeting, students created Valentine’s Day cards. Photo credit: Mrs. Stahl

It’s March, which means it’s Best Buddies Month! It’s also the 35th anniversary of the program. 

According to bestbuddies.org, this month is a celebration of their efforts to “…create one-to-one friendship, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.” Their website also includes many ways to be involved with the program, including signing up for the Best Buddies Friendship Walk,  riding in a Best Buddies Challenge, wearing Best Buddies gear, and much more. 

Mrs. Kolbi Stahl and Ms. Thandiwe Tembo run the chapter of this program at NH. Stahl explained that the group has 70+ members this year, and those students take part in activities such as lunch bunches, club meetings where they play games, and supporting the Sports for Life team. 

The paraeducator explained that “The club gives students with and without intellectual disabilities the opportunity to get to know each other and create relationships that they otherwise might not have the opportunity to without clubs like this.” Club members can also gain values such as empathy and advocacy, that will be useful for the rest of their life. 

Stahl added that she “…missed out on a huge opportunity to add amazing people into [her] high school experience and all-around life simply because [she] didn’t know how to…  [she doesn’t] want any general education students to miss out on the amazing students [she gets] to serve in [her] classroom.” 

Senior Aiden Jablon has been a part of best buddies since his sophomore year. Jablon “…really enjoy[s] being a part of the club and [he] think[s] people should join it.” The club members “…all hang out and have these fun little parties and get to know each other and have a good time.” 

Another senior, Katrina Winkler, has been involved in the club for three years. According to Winkler, the club stands for “…helping students have experiences in high school that any other student would.” It’s important that “…they have friendships outside of their classrooms and they feel welcome and fit in…” The seniors’ favorite part of being involved with the group is “…seeing them [the students] be happy and they feel included and welcome and that’s just a nice feeling, to let them know they’re just like us.”

If students are interested in joining the club, Winkler says “…just come, everybody is welcome.” Instagram users can also follow the page @nhhsbestbuddies123 to stay updated with club events and opportunities.