Snapping over sticky situation

Rebekah Keaton, Production Manager

It’s the beginning of a new school year, and everything is new and exciting like Christmas morning when you get those gifts that you don’t need and didn’t ask for that we all eventually forget about.  Once you get used to going to school, it’s so easy to get bored in class and start daydreaming. To pass time and stay on task, you decide to pop in a piece of extra spearmint gum. That’s all fine and dandy, but make sure it stays in your mouth and doesn’t end up under the desks or on the bottom of the chairs.

When I’m in class and I put my hand under the desk and I feel an old piece of chewed gum it is so gross. Frankly, it’s like when your brother borrows your hair brush and doesn’t give it back so you have to adventure through the never ending pit of trash he calls a room to get it. Not very pleasant. Or when you think you see his nasty used sock move across the floor, it’s disgusting and unsanitary.  

Also, that moment when you’re in class and you go to push in your chair and there is a giant wad of gum, it’s like seeing someone eat out of the trash or touching a dirty tissue.  It just makes you cringe and say ewwwwwwww. I mean we are all young adults and we are not at home we are at our place of work where our job is to learn and listen to the teachers and other adults, not act like animals and leave our mess laying everywhere.  

Yes, there are adults in the building but they are not our parents and some of them have their own family so they don’t want to clean up after their students and then go home and clean up after their own kids or animals, and just because we have janitors does not mean that we have to make their jobs harder for them. It’s like working with Jim Carrey on set of a movie; according to Tommy Lee Jones he is a real pain in the butt.  

Every one of the adults in the school has papers and projects to grade, while they also have a home life and they deserve respect from mature young adults, not disrespect from them. So, stop throwing, spitting, popping, and sticking your used gum in places where it shouldn’t go, and get your lazy behind up and out of the chair and throw it away in the trash.