Athletes go extra mile to recover; Students overcome obstacles

Lauren Seco, OP/ED Editor

High school sports can provide entertainment, a strong work ethic, and even plentiful scholarships. While important, these activities can also provide students with harmful injuries.
Junior Cameron LaPlante participates in both soccer and track and field. Recently, LaPlante dislocated his kneecap which then “tore [his] meniscus, tore [his] MPFL ligament, and broke part of [his] tibia.” With six to eight months of recovery to do, the athlete described the experience as “pretty devastating.” He requires physical therapy for three days a week where he can “hopefully run again in the future.”
He was hoping to be captain and lead his team this year, but this injury stood in the way. However, the student’s “teammates, coaches, family, and friends were there to support [him] and lift [his] spirits.” LaPlante has commented that the school’s rules and regulations regarding injury are still efficient, but he just has “bad knees.” He recommends to any other students in a similar situation to “never let yourself get down. Always stay positive and see the light at the end of the tunnel.”
Sophomore Shaun Glogowski is involved with basketball and track and field. She has previously injured her knees, nose, and ankle “through falling and contact with other players” while participating in her sports. To recover, the athlete required a doctor evaluation, x-rays, a cast and brace, extensive rest, and medication for pain. It took her knees a month, her nose a month and a half, and her ankle a month to heal.
After the injuries, Glogowski’s coaches became hesitant to let her play in fear of more injuries. “It has also taken [her] out for the rest of the season.” Regarding safety precautions, the student believes there should be more “monitoring when it comes to contact sports.” She also believes there should be “better control over player contact; if someone does something that can hurt another player, the ref should stop it.”
Junior Rachel Smith, a swimmer, has experienced a long-term shoulder injury “two years ago when [she] dislocated it during a summer swim practice.” Her shoulder never “truly healed so after a hard practice it is in a lot of pain.” Even after her favorite race, “a 500 yard freestyle,” she is already in pain because of her shoulder. To combat this injury, the student has started physical therapy to hopefully recover.
The swimmer does not believe that there should be a change in safety regulations as in her personal experience, “coaches have been very kind and would never make [her] do anything that would further [her] injury.” Smith gives the advice, “if there is a will, there’s a way. Don’t let an injury hold you back.”