Spending, appreciating time with family; Holidays coming around

BROOKELYN PRIEBE, Reporter

The holidays are coming around, and most people I know love Thanksgiving and Christmas, whether they are religious or not. They love the peace that the snow brings (if it even does snow) and the Christmas songs, as well as the Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas lights, Christmas trees, and, of course, they love the presents as well, because honestly, who doesn’t love presents?

However, all those things really aren’t the main importance of Christmas. The most important thing is the quality time you get with your family or the people you love. Having Christmas breakfast, wearing matching PJ’s, eating dinner with them, seeing Christmas lights with them, listening to Christmas music while you decorate with them. Buying them gifts, seeing them open that gift, opening your own gifts while they watch you, and my personal favorite: spending time with your favorite cousin at the family party.

Many people celebrate these holidays without appreciating the good things that come from it.  A few students said that their favorite thing about Christmas is the gifts they get. Now, not all people are like that. A lot of people actually like being with their loved ones more than getting gifts, and that’s exactly how it should be.

Being with the people you love is the best thing possible, and it should be appreciated more than what it is. According to highlandsprinsclinic.org,when we spend time with family—especially face-to-face communication, as opposed to digital—it significantly reduces the occurrence of depression, anxiety, and other mental illness. Being physically present with loved ones creates a strong emotional support to buoy you up through life’s challenges.” 

The holidays can be a hard time for some people who have lost or been cut off by their loved ones. It may be someone’s first Christmas without their close friend or a family member who they loved dearly, but being surrounded by people who are full of light and good energy who you love and are thankful for can bring so much positivity into a person’s life. 

Not only does spending time with family improve your mood during rough times of the year such as holidays, but spending time with them also builds a better relationship. Having a good relationship with your family members is very important to your well being. You shouldn’t only surround yourself with your loved ones during the holidays. However, it  is important to have those people and relationships as a daily thing. Make more time to see the people who love you more often.