Learning to prepare for college: Getting ahead of the game

Annie Finholm, Reporter

College, according to a recent study conducted by YouthTruth, is something approximately 55 percent of high school students don’t feel prepared for. These students do not know when to begin prepping, how to do so, or what they want to study. 

When it comes to the timeliness of getting ready for college, senior Darian Hauf explains that she does not believe there is “really a set timeline for when people should prepare.” Hauf continues by stating that the pace at which students prepare “all depends on their goals and ambitions,” meaning that once you know what you want to do, you should begin researching the different aspects of your career choice. She explains that as she “started narrowing [her] career interests, [her] college options narrowed.” 

Mark Szot, guidance counselor, states that freshmen should “be working hard in their classes, developing good study habits, and [have] really good attendance,” as well as “get involved in extracurricular activities that are important to them.” Sophomores, according to Szot, should “sign up for the PSAT” and that counselors will “use Naviance to help students explore career paths based on their interests and skills.” 

Szot extends this thought by stating juniors should “sign up for the SAT or ACT” and that counselors will “assist students with college planning and resume building.” According to Szot, seniors “will be using the Naviance program to help them with the college admissions process.” 

Szot allows students to understand that “taking challenging honors and AP classes will help prepare [them] for the rigor of college coursework.” He also states the benefit that “students may even be able to earn college credits if they earn a high score on their AP exam if their college accepts AP credit.”  

To further prepare, Heinze says, students should “get involved in something,” whether it’s through school, the community, athletics, or volunteering. The guidance counselor states that students can “begin with one area that they are passionate about and build on that throughout high school.”  

Hauf advises students to “maintain decent grades to keep the door open for any college you may want to go to – or to at least receive your high school diploma. “She also encourages students to be “ahead of schedule” because “finding the college, major, or career you might want to pursue will help you decide your future and where you want to go.”      

Szot tells students that “preparation really begins the day [you] enter high school.” He explains that through developing good study habits, time management, staying organized, having good attendance, and making connections with teachers, the student is preparing themself. 

According to Szot, “developing good teacher and friend relationships will also help you make new connections in college.” He also states the idea that “participating in extracurricular clubs and sports will help you develop into a well-rounded individual.” 

Szot explains that “the SAT/ACT is offered throughout the year and [they] recommend that students take it their junior year.” He then goes on to state that “if they’re not satisfied with the scores[,] they can take it again in the fall of their senior year.”  

Hauf says high school has taught her important concepts such as “organization, study habits, time management, and [finding] methods that work for [her] when it comes to good grades.” Heinze elaborates on this idea, stating that “the rigors of high school along with the types of classes that you take can prepare you.” 

Counselor Szot states that “Honors/AP classes help prepare students for the rigor of college.” He continues by adding “AP exams allow students the chance to earn college credits if they get a high enough score,” which will depend on the college. 

Heinze tells students to “make a list of schools and compare them side by side” and include “a dream school, an average school, and a safety school.” Hauf encourages people to apply to schools regardless of whether they are likely to get in. Szot includes the idea of “looking at colleges early and that students visit the campus.” 

Heinze encourages students to take classes based on their career interests. She states that “high school courses allow you to explore classes that you might take in more depth at the college level. The counselor also encourages summer programs and shadowing to see if the career is truly an interest to you.  

Hauf states that these career-oriented classes will “not only help you to be more prepared in your future, it will be a class you look forward to.” Szot says that it is always recommended to take classes students “have a genuine interest in” because it can “lead to a possible career path.” 

In addition to the summer camps, Szot suggests applying to magnet programs. He then goes to state that if a student still does not know what to major in, they should “try to take general education courses in [their] first year [of college].” 

Counselor Heinze would “recommend that any senior planning on going to college [apply] for financial aid and scholarships.” She then elaborates by stating “some aid is based on grades and some is based on financial need,” so the student should apply for ones that suit them best. Szot explains that the determining factor is “a formula based on a parent and student’s finances.”