Netflix’s new docu-series released; Night Stalker looks at famous serial killer Richard Ramirez

Kensington Boyanich, News Editor

New releases have been popping up all over the Netflix site. A new exclusive series based on the American serial killer Richard Ramirez was released on January 13.  IMDB summarizes it, “This limited docu-series tells the true story of how one of the most notorious serial killers in American history was hunted down and brought to justice.” This series has a total of four episodes averaging around 50 minutes an episode. 

The show follows infamous serial killer Richard Ramirez whose crime spree spread across the greater Los Angeles area and San Francisco Bay area from June 1984 until August 1985.  Ramirez was convicted on 43 counts, including 13 murders, and authorities have good reason to believe there were more says web.archive.org.  

IMDB critics rate this series a 7.6/10 stars. It is categorized as a documentary, crime, and mystery T.V. miniseries. The show is rated MA for mature audiences because of severe sex and nudity, violence and gore, along with multiple frightening and intense scenes. Views have mixed emotions on scenes like one Twitter user who says, “Watching the new Netflix Night Stalker series. No need for them to include the victim crime scene photos, and slo-mo blood splatter shots, it’s not necessary.” It is important to take caution when watching a show like this and make sure you know what you are getting into. 

Out of 150 students polled at North Harford 19%, said they had seen the show while 81% said they hadn’t seen it. Out of everyone who had seen the show, 100% said they enjoyed it. Kaitlyn Buchanan, junior, had watched the series recently. She says, “I just think it’s really disturbing and he [Richard Ramirez] is probably one of the scariest serial killers I have learned about. During his trial when they read off what he did they said kidnapping, murder, rape, robbery, and more, I think that’s what scarred me the most.”

Buchanan also says how, “I liked that it didn’t just focus on the killer, it also focused on the people affected by it like the investigators, detectives, family, etc. I liked the show, and they gave everything perspective.” Perry Hall High School Senior Mark Cullen has also watched the show. He says, “I started it because I was really bored. I liked the history of the Night Stalker and just learning more about him and his crimes. I did though dislike how some of the people on the show were a little awkward on camera.”

When asked about rating the show Cullen states, “I would rate it an 8 of out of 10 because it was a good show overall. I like documentaries if I’m being completely honest, I also like serial killers, I think they are pretty interesting.”