Carnivale presents to class; Young journalists inspired by NH graduate

Ben Iampieri, Copy Editor

Abbey Carnivale, North Harford alumna, and Ohio University graduate is now a sports reporter for Spectrum News 1. Before her new job, she worked for ESPN and Sports Center.

Carnivale spoke about her job to Mrs. Jennifer Chandler’s journalism class on April 1. “She talked about how her career took off from ESPN to where she is now,” sophomore Stella Manns says. “She wants her future to be in the journalism world.” Manns does not think she will go into a journalism career, but found this quarterly presentation to have been the most interesting of the three. “It might have just been because she was a female and I am too, so it was more interesting to me.”

Sophomore Emily Johnson was there for the presentation too. “[Carnivale] went over things like when she graduated, what college she went to, her major, what she’s doing now, [and] growing up how she always loved sport and how that influenced what she wanted to do as a career,” she explains. Johnson has thought about a journalism career and says she “would love to do something within media and broadcasting.” She is uncertain if it is her passion, but she says Carnivale’s presentation piqued her interest in it. “I thought she was very enthusiastic and I liked her personality and she has a broadcaster voice. I liked it a lot.”

Freshman Claire Moffitt was also able to view the presentation. “[Carnivale] was talking about how it is to be in a workforce that is mostly dominated by men, like working for ESPN,” she says. “She was being really honest about everything.” 

Carnivale spoke about how people would sometimes not attribute her to her work. “They would be like ‘oh somebody else wrote that,’ or ‘you didn’t do that by yourself,’ when she writes all her scripts,” Moffitt explains. “I thought that was kind of upsetting that she didn’t get any credit for it.

“The fact that she got to work with a lot of UFC fighters and NFL players like Tom Brady and Conor McGregor was interesting because of how fast she got to that point in her life,” Manns says. “She was really nice and it was cool that she remembered the teachers that came in and saw her.”

Johnson found it most interesting how often Carnivale moved around. She also admired how she decided to try something other than sports to decide if that was really what she wanted to do, then ended up going back to sports.