Rugby; hits that can’t be missed

EMILY IAMPERI MAGGIE SADIQ, Reporter

When most people hear the word “rugby” they think of Friends, from the first episode, “The One with all the Rugby.”  However, here at NHHS lies a record-holding rugby player, Noah Fish.

Rugby is a sport similar to football, but without padding. Fish describes the sport as “a non-stop running game” and has “a position for every type of person, big or small.”

Fish’s position is called a prop. A prop is the first person in a scrum, which is “when 10 people lock together and drive another 10 people over the ball to gain possession.”  Fish states that he enjoys playing this position because he gets to tackle as well as score points for his team.

The now 16-year-old athlete has been involved with the sport since he was 7-years-old and originally got involved because of his stepbrother. “He introduced me into the sport, and I wanted to play along with him” Fish reminisces.

Fish has seen necks snap, and chests caving in among small breaks and sprains.  “The league makes you sign a contract in the beginning of the season saying you won’t sue them if you get seriously hurt or die during a game.”

Fish has many fond, along with many painful memories of his rugby games. One of the most memorable being the athlete claiming he broke his butt. He has been bitten, sat on, thrown, you name it.  Once he tried to tackle a player but pulled down his pants on accident. In retaliation, the player sat on him. “There was this really big kid and he picked me up and I was really frightened. As soon as he picked me up, I was like, ‘I’m going to die,’ and he picked me up and just kinda dropped me. But like, with him on top of me.”  

Fish, as well as athletes from many other sports, has learned about teamwork and “how to have a good bond between a diverse group of people” due to his involvement in rugby.

While sports for some students may be a hobby, or something they do to stay fit, Fish sees rugby playing a part in his future. “I can see myself playing rugby or coaching it for a college,” he explains.

The player went on to talk about his club record for the longest try. This is when a player reaches the end zone and taps the ball on the ground to score points. Fish set this record with 105 yards. “I couldn’t stop talking about it for two days,” Fish explains, “I got a wave of gratitude and I was so proud of myself.”

Not only does Fish have his very own record, but he also has the accomplishment of becoming the youngest player to make the varsity team at just 15-years-old.

Fish has been playing since he was eight and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon. From the good, the bad, and the downright dirty plays, Fish loves every minute of the game. “I love playing, there’s a lot of risks but it’s worth it.”