Coming off major wins against challenging teams, Girls field hockey team bangs out goals

Jessica Fannin, Editor

The ball flies from player to player, the audience struggling to track it. Tension in the air rises as the ball gets dangerously closer to the goal. The field is buzzing with the sound of excited fans cheering louder. One last swoop of the stick and the ball is in the goal before the goalie and stop it. 

According to senior Hannah Krizek, “the game against Notre Dame Prep (NDP) was super exciting for the girls field hockey team.” She explained that, “coming off a few tough losses, when the buzzer sounded […] they were all relieved that […] [they] held the two to zero lead for an entire second half.” 

Sophomore Korynn Sims, “believe[s] the difference about the NDP game was the mindset.” Sims believes that some players went into the game thinking they “were a lower skill level than NDP, which was not true.” The Sophomore believes they were able to play and offensive game because the girls “played more as a team than individuals.” 

Senior Annika Peterson agreed that they, “all came out playing like a team.” The center midfield player explained that after the win they “ran over and hugged the goalie because […] [they] were so proud of each other.” 

Krizek believes that the win against NDP has encouraged the team to hold their “heads high.” Because they beat a team they did not expect too, they realized they “can beat any team face.” Even though the schedule after the NDP game “gets no easier,” Krizek knows they “can do it.” 

Apart from getting pumped for games like these, Sims likes to, “prep for a game by listening to music and focusing on warmups and how to improve from the previous game.” Bella Southard is a junior field hockey player who gets fired up by listening to, “All of the Lights by Kanye West.” 

After a win Southard loves when they get “off practice the next day and can hang out with my friends to celebrate.” 

Along with wins in field hockey there can also be injuries. During a game against liberty Peterson said, “a ball rebounded off someone’s stick and hit the nose of a girl on the opposite team.” 

After the injury was sustained, it was “difficult to tell how serious her injury was and both teams were really worried for her,” according to Peterson. According to senior player Greer Strine, “after the girl left the game to go to Upper Chesapeake Hospital, it was determined that she sustained a broken nose.” 

Peterson described that after the incident the team was, “pretty shaken up but […] [they] refocused and played with intensity the second half.” 

Krizek explained that despite them “feeling bad,” they had to “finish the game,” and not let it be a distraction. From their wins against their recent opponents the field hockey realized they, “can beat any opponent.”