2022 tennis team serves up new season; Players creating friendships, memories on court

Kensi Boyanich, Business Manager

With the spring sports season starting to pick up the North Harford tennis team has hit the courts. 

“I really love all the people,” says senior Megan Mannlein, “We have a lot of great underclassmen who I really admire. We also have some fantastic upperclassmen who have shown great improvement and continue to be great role models.” 

Junior Yoyin Ogunyemi talks about the team, “We get along really well. I really appreciate how we all get along and how many friends I’ve made while being on the team.” The team also talks about their best competitors so far into the season. “My best competitor so far is a bit cliche but it was the mixed doubles team at Fallston. They were the best mixed team so far in the division and we had such a tight game,” states sophomore Stella Manns.

Sophomore Cara Dyke says, “The best competitor so far would be C. Milton because the two girls I went up against had very good placement and it would help them get easy points.” Sophomore Emily Johnson agrees with Dyke on this stating for herself, “The best competitor I’ve played was at our first match against C. Milton Wright[…]The girl I played had good and quick serves and knew exactly what she was doing. It was definitely difficult but it taught me alot, such as the importance of staying on your toes, and I even scored a few points on her!.”

Dyke also talks about her best moment on the court. “I was at the net and I slammed the ball down the alley and the girl couldn’t return it. When I would serve the girl couldn’t return the serve and it would just go up into the air.”

“The highlights are being able to show your skills and learn how to get better through competing in games.” Ogunyemi states. “I really appreciate how we all get along and how many friends I’ve made while being on the team.” Johnson talks about how she was able to get to know her teammates, “the first few days of practice when everybody was assigned to a random partner for drills and stations. It helped me get to know others on the team that I may not have approached on my own and kept the cliques of players at bay.” 

Johnson also talks about her excitement for future matches, “I’m most looking forward to our senior night, and finally playing in a match against North East! We also want to redeem ourselves against Fallston, so hopefully that will happen too.” Dyke is looking forward to improving her skills and “making a difference in my plays and matches.” 

Freshman Emma Clayton talks about how she is most looking forward to “improving my skills and being successful in my matches.” Mannlein states how “the rest of the season I am looking forward to seeing everyone succeed in their own ways and being able to accomplish goals that they have set.”

Manns says they, “have about 5-6 regular season games left and then it’s time for UCBAC and regionals. So fingers crossed all goes well until then.”