Changing to 4-day school week;

Multiple chances to save money

Reducing the number of school days from five to four is an idea that is gaining popularity rapidly. Schools in rural areas are often facing budgeting problems – problems which can be reduced, if not completely fixed, if the school systems go to a four-day week. 

 ”Proponents of a four-day school week argue that it offers several benefits, including cost savings, improved student attendance and increased teacher morale. By reducing the number of school days, schools can save money on transportation, food and energy costs,” says The National Conference of State Legislatures. “Research Shows that the  maximum possible cost savings for districts on a four-day week is 5.43%, but average savings range from 0.4% to 2.5%.” 

But it isn’t just the saved money that makes a four-day school week the best course of action. “Some studies have shown that student attendance improves under a four-day school week. With a longer weekend, students have more time to rest and engage in extracurricular activities, which can lead to better attendance during the week. This, in turn, can lead to improved academic performance,” reports The National Conference of State Legislatures. 

But there are some challenges that come with converting to a four-day school week. According to The National Conference of State Legislatures, “four-day school weeks can also pose a challenge to families who are unable to find affordable, enriching care arrangements on the fifth weekday. Further, students who are food insecure may not have access to sufficient meals during the off day.” This causes a major downside to four-day school weeks. To combat this, some schools offer daycare on the off day, in order to provide parents with a way to still work and a way for kids to have access to food.

While there will be some kinks to work out, just like any change, the money saved and the better attendance prove that a four day week is a necessary course of action in order to improve the school system. This school system is ready for a positive change, and this is the way to success.