Football kicks off season with win; Taking over endzone

Football season is back in action this fall, taking over the field as their fans in the student section follow them to cheer them on. 

The team has started the season off with a blowout game against Perryville, winning by a score of 31-14 on Sept. 1.  The team continued their win streak against Joppatowne in the first home game of the season at the Hawks’ Nest with a score of 17-0 on Sept. 14.  The team has had one loss against Bel Air.

The team is led by head coach and athletic director Mr. Justin Martinek, who said his favorite thing about coaching is when it’s game night and “the team is able to showcase all of the hard work.” 

According to Martinek, the team “came together as one unit, and I think that is one of the reasons for our success.” The team seems to have a positive atmosphere from the captains, taking “their leadership roles seriously and is keeping the team focused on track,” says Martinek. 

The senior captains of the team this year are Preston Miller, Kent Holcombe, and Clay Lawerence. Miller says that being a captain “means the coaches and other players trust you to lead the team and make the right decisions for everyone.” Lawrence likes the responsibility of “motivating the team and having everyone getting better at each practice.”

Miller has “very high” expectations for the team this season, since they have “a lot of talent and [he] would hate to see it all go to waste.” All of the players have been working in practices to get ready for games, and Miller said that the team has especially been working on “incorporating a pass game a lot more” this season. To do this, Miller said they are already “very solid running the ball,” but they need to “be able to pass the ball to win crucial games.” Lawrence shares that their team is “physically stronger than most teams in the UCBAC.”

One of North Harford’s biggest games is against Fallston High School. Miller said that he is most excited for the game against the Cougars because he feels “there is always a different energy going into that game.”