Driving their way to goal; Field hockey rises to top spot in county

This year’s field hockey squads season is coming to an end soon, but the team has had a big winning season. The team is back to back UCBAC champions with a 8-1 standing, also taking first in the county this year. 

The team of 22 girls have been practicing since August to make it to where they are now. Senior Sara Ford (center midfield,) is “really proud of our team,” for how they are doing so far in the season. 

The Hawks game against C. Milton Wright had a winning score of 2-1, which was Ford’s favorite game. Senior captain Mekenzie McCann (center back) said that game “was the one we all came together and started to play as a team.” 

The game the team had against Mercy High was the rec night for the girls; they had Jarrettsville recreational field hockey teams come out to support the Hawks with a win of 2-1. Ford said, “it was really fun to see all the little kids come out to the game.”

The Hawks had their senior night game to show spotlight to their eight seniors on the team: Ford, McCann, Sarah Reifsnyder, Korynn Sims, Amber Kozlowski, Izzy Hendricks, Grace Conklin, and Natalie Sturgil. The team played Fallston High and won 2-1 for their seniors. “People were crying happy tears” that night, according to Ford. 

“As a team, we work together on the field super well,” said Sims. The team has a positive outlook of all games. “The team doesn’t give up after being scored on, and that’s huge in games that can be so close,” said Sims. 

This season is sophomore Olivia Bloom’s first year on varsity and says the team has “worked hard” to get to the top. The reason the team has been doing well, Bloom says, is because “the team likes each other,” which has had a positive impact on the field. She’s hoping that the team “will get far” with their regional games. 

The “Bel Air, C. Milton, and Mercy games,” were Bloom’s favorite games because “they were really tight games,” but the team pulled through and won all three of them. The Mercy game was a good night game, according to Bloom, because “it was a game not many people expected us to win.”