Two fighters with ultimate goal of winning money not recognition

Garrett Sturgill, Reporter

Majority of the audience was torn between whether the big fight was a publicity stunt or a fight in which was not worth watching. Tyler Martin, a junior here at North Harford High School when asked who won the fight had replied with this. “Floyd Mayweather won the fight because Conor McGregor isn’t as good at boxing as he is at MMA. He didn’t have the energy to supply him for twelve rounds of the fight and that’s why Floyd Mayweather won,” Martin stated. “With front row tickets being am upward price of $100,000, I think that the fight was a publicity stunt. Not to mind that McGregor and Mayweather both walked out of the ring with a fifty million dollar paycheck,” the junior said. “In the end you have two great fighters in different criteria’s. One is an undefeated boxer coming out of retirement and the other is the most hyped about MMA fighter that everyone wants to fight. They most definitely hyped it up because Floyd Mayweather had 49 wins and 0 losses. This comes back to publicity to the fact he won his 50th fight. They were not going to let him lose. I do not believe the fight was worth the hype,” the student had commented about the hype up of the fight. Some students would agree to Martin’s statements concluding it’s just a “money fight,” and the fight wasn’t worth the hype. Tallon Virts is here to say otherwise.

“McGregor had no chance going into Mayweather’s territory of boxing. McGregor was very cocky saying it will be easy, most likely to get the fight hyped up. In the end all of this trash talk that came from McGregor ended up meaning nothing,” Virts said. “He lost making Mayweather 50-0 which was a well-deserved win on his part,” he had claimed. “The fight lasted long and the fight was well hyped up with two highly, and skilled well known athletes. It was well worth the fight.” With two contradicting reactions to the fight, Emily Hunter thinks both of the fighters performed equally.

“I feel like Mayweather should have won no matter what because of how tough he is. With all of his opponents like he said ‘he used different angles. He was a tough competitor, but I was the better man tonight.’” With Hunter throwing in Mayweather’s personal sound bite, it shows his true perspective and respect towards McGregor. “I feel like they both equally performed good,” the student had said and left it at that. As you can see, majority of the students are leaning towards Mayweather and Brennan Stewart, a sophomore, also agrees to the fact he’s the true winner.

“I think Mayweather won fair and square,” Stewart said. McGregor had no chance. He has never boxed before in his life. Mayweather is arguably one of the best boxers in the world and he was against an amateur,” the sophomore had claimed. When asked if this fight was a publicity stunt, Stewart had said “I think McGregor really wanted the fight to happen.” With all of these students claiming the fight was worth it or not, Meghan Bundick is one of the many who would never even consider a boxing match.

“Watching people fight is not enjoyable,” she stated. “I have better things to do than engross myself in a sport that is based off of violence,” Bundick had announced. “I know they fight to get their anger out and stuff like that but that doesn’t mean I have to find pleasure in their pain,” the student commented affirmatively. Despite these conflicting opinions, where would the rest of the students’ opinions remain in the school?

This fight had definitely raised conflicting opinions in which contradicted each and every comment stated publicly. Whether you had accused the fighters of doing this for a publicity stunt, or simply just promoting their recognition, you can definitely say they succeeded. They were one of the most anticipated fights in a long time, reporters claim on the media. Essentially, the two fighters succeeded in ending their career as well as starting a whole new career due to this fight said Martin.