Old club renamed; Voices of Equity club booms

Caitlyn Allen, News Editor

Students looking for an opportunity to get involved at NH, have another club to consider.  Though a similar club existed last year, its name has been changed to the Voices of Equity Club this year, and all are welcome.

English teacher Mr. Michael James is the organization’s advisor and he said they changed the name of this club for two reasons. The first is to make it clearer what the purpose of the club is. “We want to be a voice of equity and social justice at North Harford and beyond.” Second, he added the group plans on pairing with similar groups in other schools in Harford County. “This allows us to work together for Harford County Public Schools and Harford County in general.” 

James claims he wanted to be a part of this group because he “sees such a strong and wonderful community here at North Harford.” James adds, “I also know that many students feel isolated and in some instances attacked.” 

As America battles through our world today and its past, James “wants to look forward to our future” and to get there means we “have to be aware that how we treat one another matters.” James adds “most importantly, we have to learn to address our prejudices and biases so that we can achieve what our founders saw in this American experiment- liberty and justice for all.” 

The club virtually meets every other Friday. James says that each time the group meets they “get a little closer to understanding what we need from the group.” James adds that they plan on making some smaller and larger plans and projects however, they are “just getting off the ground” so they “do not know what they will be yet.” 

James states that he is inspired by each member of the group because they are “open and nonjudgmental.” He adds that they “give him hope for a better tomorrow because they are willing to work for it.” The teacher’s biggest fear is that “people see the club as a threat of some sort and undermine the idea of justice.” James hopes to “ build a movement and a community that is welcoming enough that those voices start to change.” 

Student and member Clare Cummings states she is “most excited to be surrounded by peers that have the same view as me.” Cummings adds that she is “really excited to see what’s in store for the club in the future.” 

Cummings adds it is “a lot harder with virtual meetings.” Some kids “don’t turn on their cameras or do not want to speak because they feel uncomfortable,” but she hopes that “students will get more comfortable as we adapt to our new world.” 

James adds that the club members have “doubled in the past week” and if “anybody would like to join” please contact him directly.