Track and field takes off; Girls team sprints to victory

Emily Iampieri, Copy Editor

On April 9, the track and field team took on Fallston at home for their first meet after four weeks of practice, and on April 16 they traveled to Harford Tech to race against the Cobras as well as Aberdeen.

The girls conquered the cougars 108-28 while the boys took 70-26 loss. The lady hawks were able to take first in every event except the 3200m, high jump, and long jump while the boys only took home first in the 4x800m relay and the discus and shotput events (senior Daniel Lane won both, earning a PR of 91’7 in discus).

At the meet against Fallston, the girls had 33 personal records (PRs) and the boys earned 20. Senior Erin O’Leary’s PR in the discus earned her a school record. O’Leary threw 108 feet, shattering the previous record of 101’2 set in 2004 by Catherine Purdue.

O’Leary says that she was “speechless” after hearing that she broke the discus record. “I was very happy,” the senior reported.

The girls 4x200m relay came down to the last leg, with the Hawks winning by just .30 seconds. Freshman Aubrey Hyman sprinted the last leg of the race, she says “while I was running I was just thinking to push myself because my team did so good to get us there and I didn’t want to let them down.” 

Hyman compliments her teammates saying “all four of us put in so much effort.” The relay consisted of Hyman, Annika Peterson (junior), Sophie Trimble (senior), and Darian Hauf (senior).

At Tech, the girls beat the Cobras and Eagles 91-52-22 respectively. The boys lost to both Tech and Aberdeen 82-58-28 respectively. The lady hawks attained 25 new PRs and the boys achieved six.

Highlighting the PRs is Hauf, who also set a new record. The senior pole vaulted a height of 11 feet, breaking the previous school record, set by her in 2019, by nine inches. Hauf’s 11 foot vault also earned her the Harford County record and tied her with the Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference (UCBAC) Record.

Coach Jimmy Cachola says “the previous (NHHS) record Darian broke stood for 16 years, so her new record will stand, hopefully, for at least another 16.”

“It was honestly such a relief having gotten 11 feet and breaking the record,” Hauf says. “I have been consistently jumping that height in practice so it was great to be able to make it an official PR.” Hauf says her goal for the end of the season is to jump 11’6-12 feet.

Hauf also won a tight race in the 100 against Harford Tech senior Nya Ray, she won by .20 seconds. 

In both meets, the girls 4x800m relay has run to victory unopposed. Sophomore Sierra Weaver says “I love running when there isn’t any competition because I feel like I just do my best and I don’t feel like I have to go faster or slower depending on the people around me.” 

Freshman James Ortt crossed the finish line for the boys first win of the meet in the 800m. Also running the 800m was senior Gavin Little, who finished his high school track career on April 16.

“Gavin has the opportunity to get an early start on his post graduation plans that will prevent him from finishing the season,” coach Greg Burgess writes on Facebook.