Getting on ‘track’ for season; Hawks prepare to take down competition

Greer Strine, Sports Editor

The winter season has come and gone, now the Hawks are back in action with spring sports. Going from indoor to outdoor track, the team is getting ready for the races.

For the 2022 season, the team captains are seniors Annika Peterson and Kayla Smith,  juniors Finley Lavin, Sierra Wendlend, and Nate Santana, and sophomores Anna O’Leary and James Ortt,

Peterson has been running track for all four years of high school. She participates in the “long and triple jump, 100m and 200m sprint, and sometimes relays.” She says that jumping was introduced to her in the middle of her freshman season.

Like Peterson, senior Nick Spigler, also participates in triple jump. On top of that, he does high jump and the 100m spring. Alongside Spigler and Peterson, freshman Grace Barnes competes in the 100m among other events.

According to countysportszone.com the team has a total of nine regular season meets this year. The first being away at C. Milton Wright on Mar. 22. Out of all of the meets, only one is at home, on Mar. 30 against Patterson Mill. 

Peterson states, “[She’s] very excited for this year since its [her] last year, but also because the team has a lot of potential. There are only a few meets for us to prove ourselves, but [she] thinks that they can perform really well.”

Barnes and Spigler both participate in cross country to prepare for the track season, Spigler also is apart of the varsity swim team. Peterson prepares by playing field hockey and both her and Barnes run indoor track. \

All three athletes agreed that their other sports all help them tremendously with conditioning and staying in shape for the track season. Both Peterson and Spigler also commented that muscle strength and build up has also benefited them for track, since their other sports allow them “to get buff,” says Peterson.

Last season, the team also had a total of nine meets, many where the girls team won a majority of the points for the Hawks, since there were a lot of participants in the girls events, said Peterson.

Spigler commented, “Even though we split up into groups based on our events, everyone is so fun to be around. It’s such a comfortable setting. It is competitive, but no one is trying to outdo someone else, we all try to make each other better.”