Journalism staff recognizes graduating seniors; Annual dinner celebration takes place

KRIS GRAY, News Editor

On May 16, the journalism staff participated in their annual senior dinner. The event took place at the Harford County 4-H Camp and Deer Creek Overlook at 6 p.m. 

Every year, the students who curate the newspaper, run the announcements, manage various social media platforms, and support many other aspects of North Harford’s school activities have a chance to recognize those who are graduating. Senior Reese Showalter explains that the journalism kids “plan it and decide what food [they] are going to have, etc. Then, on the night of the dinner, they] go eat with friends and family while an underclassman gets to pick the senior they want to honor and then go up and give a gift and a little speech about you.”

Showalter acknowledges that the “senior dinner means a lot to [her] especially as a senior” being on the receiving end of this exchange. To her, “it really felt special because other classes don’t have a special night for their seniors and it really meant a lot…that [she] got to celebrate it with the people that [she has] been in class with for three years.”

At the venue, students engage in the award ceremony, speeches, cries, and much more. As the advisor for the class, English teacher Mrs. Jennifer Chandler “loves hearing what [her students] have to say about each other” because “that’s the part that just melts [her] heart.” 

Chandler describes how contrary to the majority, she didn’t cry because the teacher is “not sad” about her seniors leaving, but “excited, because this is exactly where they’re supposed to be.” It’s also fulfilling, according to Chandler, because, over the years she has been able “to have a front row seat to what the rest of their life looks like.”

Finally, the advisor believes that “it is cool to be in the position to know that ultimately, [she] had a part in the process of helping them” along the way.  Of course Chandler said she wants them to be successful journalists and scholars, but more she “wants them to be kind, involved, and aware community members.”

On the other hand, senior Meghan Kalck acknowledges that the senior celebration “made [her] really good about [her]self because it’s all this hard work, and everything [she has] done is actually being noted.”