Aiming for the right shot; Redding captures abstract, landscape photos

BROOKELYN PRIEBE, Reporter

North Harford High School has a history of offering courses and programs in drama, photography, music, painting, and more.   Junior Sophia Redding, who loves taking pictures, participated in the photography class that was previously offered at The Nest.

Redding says she got into photography when she inherited her camera from her grandfather who passed away “about three or four years ago.” She describes the camera she inherited from him as a Nikon DSLR and that  is “okay.”  She adds that she couldn’t figure out how to use it at first so in her sophomore year, that’s when she decided to take photography to learn more about cameras, specifically, hers.  

Redding says she  has been doing professional photography for 3-4 years. Throughout those years, she found her favorite thing to photograph is “definitely kind of abstract pieces or just landscapes”. Although she loves abstract, she hasn’t been doing much of that only because she can’t find people to model and do “those weird poses” for her. “I mostly do landscape photography when I go on vacation or to fun places or hiking.” 

Redding says, “I would not pursue photography as a job just because I think it is a really competitive field and it is really hard to establish a name for yourself, plus it is also a really risky job. I would need a stable job and I do not believe that photography would be a good stable job for me.” 

According to borrowlenses.com, the best brand of camera depends on personal preference.  Users say both brands have fantastic lines of cameras, with each having certain advantages over the other and the best ones “largely depend on your own specific needs and priorities.” 

Redding said she would “recommend either a Nikon or a Canon, but I have had the best experience with Nikon just because that’s the one I have focused on using, but Canons are just as good.” 

Borrowlenses.com also says  Canon and Nikon were firmly competing with each other, with both having popular rangefinder and film SLR cameras. It also says that throughout the decades, there have been periods where each brand has seen success over the other and both of them have eclipsed their other competitors.