Pajama pants conundrum: Students enjoy comfortable option instead of typical day wear

Caroline Barquin, Reporter

It doesn’t need to be the spirit week pj day for everyone to attend school in their sleepwear. This new comfy fashion trend has taken over the North Harford student body at extreme speeds.

Junior Gianna Dellarose believes that the trend started because of Covid-19, “people are used to wearing pajamas at home during online school and so they have just transferred that to in person school.” Another junior Allie Williams agrees. “Covid has caused a huge change in the way students dress at school.” She continued to explain that students no longer feel the need to dress nice and comfort is the priority.

From the teacher perspective of Mary Capellan, she believes that students wearing pajamas to school “isn’t preparing them very well for life to have the opinion that you can show up to work in pajamas and have zero consequences.” 

According to the North Harford Handbook in the dress code section “bedtime attire” is prohibited. Although the administration has not been enforcing this rule, many students believe that it should not be included in the handbook. Sophomore Rachel Dixon argues that “as long as the clothing is not a distraction it should not matter what students wear.”  William strengthens the argument by describing “if students are forced to be at school for seven hours a day, they should have the right to be comfortable.”

Most students don’t believe that the outfit you wear to school affects the mood or productivity throughout the day. Williams states that “the way you act based on your clothes is just a stereotype,” and believes that she gets more work done when she is dressed comfortably because she is not worried about anything besides her work. In Capellans personal opinion, “if I don’t dress professionally, I don’t perform as well.”

Sophomore Jarek Joseph disagrees with that idea. He argues that pajamas at school “definitely makes people sleepier and more sluggish.” But “not all people are like that, some can be completely unaffected.” School is about gaining an education and to prepare students for their futures. Dixon expresses her opinion that “learning is the top priority and if students learn best when comfortable why should anyone care.” 

There have been many different fashion trends over the past year including flare pants, vintage thrifted attire, and flannels, that aids in the emergence of the new trend of making comfort the number one priority. Joseph said that “on days I don’t want to dress up I can throw some pajama pants on and go to school.” This trend has given students the socially acceptable ability to roll out of bed and come straight to school.